Monday, July 11, 2011

Thy Garden Overflow-eth (with zucchini)

My garden is backwards. When it was rainy here my garden struggled along and the few squash I had rotted. Now that it is 1,000 100+ my garden is thriving like no other. Or maybe that's the kind of weather zucchini like. I don't really know, I just plant things and hope for the best!

And for those of you who don't want to scroll down a few posts who don't remember what our garden looked like just a few weeks ago, here it is
Photobucket
Tis just a lil' thing


And here it is today!
Photobucket
Big Mama-Jama


One thing I have learned is that next year I don't need to plant 8 yellow squash and 8 zucchini plants- 2 or 3 of each will be fine. I will also have a second bed for the vine-y plants (squash, pumpkins, etc) and put all my peppers, tomatoes, green onions in a bed all by themselves. By some miracle the tomatoes I started from seeds are still growing and are now sprouting flowers, but the peppers were overtaken by the pumpkin plant. Survival of the fittest I guess. And speaking of pumpkins, we have one-
Photobucket
Hellllooooo pumpkin!

And we have another teeny, tiny one I just noticed today.
Photobucket
Awww... a baby...

We may be carving our pumpkins in September, but my kids are too young to call shenanigans so it's all good.

Here are the little squash on the vines
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Peek-a-boo, I see green onions!
I also planted some green onions that I was sure were gone, but I parted the Vine-y Sea and found them. Just like I had left them weeks ago.
So I yanked those suckers out to have on our baked potatoes tonight
Photobucket
Failure to thrive 




Photobucket
My Garden Bounty

And if we could please have a moment of silence for our fallen friend.....




RIP Cilantro, you will be missed in all future guacamole....
Photobucket
The right half of this box was cilantro, the left half of this box is a weed
And the irony is that I planted the cilantro in a window box so I could bring it inside when the weather started to get hot since cilantro is a big baby when it comes to the heat. Ah well, maybe I will try again this fall. 

Luckily the basil is doing well and so are the cherry tomatoes. 
Photobucket
Yum...basil...
Photobucket
This is a bad photo because I stepped outside with out shoes on and the concrete was HOT!!!
And now I will bring this boring post to a close!

No comments:

Post a Comment